Monday, August 19, 2013

Sketch 2



This is the first sketch.
Materials:
table top: wood
Legs: metal


I was primarily focusing on working out the legs of the table in this round. Haven't gotten to the other functionalities yet.

The idea is that it should be assembled like a kit of parts rather than fold out.
I was weighing hard whether it should be a fold out or assembled.
It would be really nice if it could be folded out, just as a matter of ease and convenience, but I think it raises the complexity quite a lot. In two senses at least. The first is that it would make the construction and design more expensive (you would need to work and rework a prototype to make sure that it glides open smoothly and stays stable once it is up) which brings me to the second issue, stability. Most of the folding tables on the market are shaky and I think that has in large part has to do with the base width: they are too narrow. I am suggesting here that we go with a broad base that stretches out an adjusts to any terrain. Perhaps it could land on mars; You will notice that it has adjustable circular pod bases. The entire leg base is also wider than the width of the table itself. So to accomplish this I am proposing either a telescoping tube or a single tube that fits in the table when in compact mode.

I was inspired by this solution here:



Of-course, I don't propose to make anywhere near as long and complex a procedure as shown here.
This should be able to be set up by a drunk idiot in under 5 minuits.

The other feature I should mention here is also that it is adjustable height. see the sleeve on the vertical parts on the legs.




No comments:

Post a Comment